To get Maria Makes updates delivered to your inbox, subscribe via email here.
These sweet potatoes are my husband's new favorite snack! They have this deep sweet and caramelized flavor, which is complemented perfectlyyyyy by the cinnamon, and then there's a spicy twist with some heat from the cayenne pepper!
The smells you guys... the smells... Every time I make these, my house smells amazing, kind of like pumpkin pie!? Enjoy them hot and straight from the oven, OR just grab a handful from the fridge anytime you need a snack!
They are super easy to make and only require 5 ingredients: sweet potatoes, coconut oil, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper!
Spicy Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes
[Paleo - Gluten Free - Grain Free - Dairy Free - Vegan]
2 big sweet potatoes (about 2 lbs total, maybe a little more)
1.5 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp sea salt (+ more to taste at the end)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- While the oven preheats, scrub, dry, and dice your sweet potatoes and cut into somewhere between 1/4" - 1/2" cubes. Add to a large bowl.
- Melt coconut oil for 30 seconds in the microwave, then stir in the cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Pour the coconut oil/spice mixture over the sweet potatoes and toss/stir to coat.
- Split sweet potatoes between the two cookie sheets, spacing them out and arranging in a single layer.
- Bake the sweet potatoes for 25 minutes, then remove from the oven and stir/flip them with a spatula.
- Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes longer until they are slightly starting to burn and the insides are creamy and soft. Season with more salt if desired.
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator!