To get Maria Makes updates delivered to your inbox, subscribe via email here.
I love a good dessert as much as the next girl. Maybe even more... I have a huge sweet tooth! But sometimes, I want a bite of something sweet without diving head first into a tray of doughnuts or a pan of brownies or a dozen cookies or... okay I better call it quits now. So that's why I love these little energy balls, bites, pops, bars, whatever you want to make them! Without sending my sugar dragon into overdrive, I can still enjoy these for a sweet treat.
And when you just happen to have a heart-shaped cake pop mold that you got on clearance for like a quarter last year, and you just happen to have heart paper straws (i.e. the best pop sticks ever), then you make v-day themed energy pops! Isn't everything cuter when it's on a stick... and heart shaped!?
But really, mold them into heart pops, roll them into balls, or press out into a pan and slice into bars! No matter the form, these are tasty little Larabar-esque treats -- perfect for Valentine's day or any day.
Strawberry Cacao Energy Balls
[Paleo - Gluten Free - Grain Free - Dairy Free]
7 dates, pitted and halved
1 cup raw cashew pieces
1 cup freeze dried strawberries
1/4 cup cacao nibs
1 Tbsp chia seeds
1 Tbsp water
pinch of salt
- Empty about a cup of freeze dried strawberries into the bowl of your food processor and pulse until they are pea-sized (some will be powder, some will be bigger). Then remove the strawberries to a small bowl.
- Add dates and cashew pieces to food processor and process until both are very fine and they start to stick together.
- Add in strawberry powder, cacao nibs, chia seeds, and a dash of salt. Pulse until everything is well combined.
- Turn food processor on and drizzle in up to 1 Tbsp (or a little more) water until the mixture sticks together into a dough-like texture.
- Decide on their final form!
- Balls - scoop out (using a cookie dough scoop if you have), then roll into balls.
- Pops - press into molds (or roll into balls as noted above), stick with half of a paper straw, and chill!
- Bars - press into a metal pan, allow to chill, then slice into bars.
Store in the fridge or freezer!