To get Maria Makes updates delivered to your inbox, subscribe via email here.
Last summer, I discovered an amaaaazing recipe. THIS Blueberry Banana Nice Cream Tart from Kelsey at Little Bits of is out of this WORLD. It's like a smoothie cake, and ever since the first time I made it, I've been dreaming up new nice cream tart combinations. First I tried simply replacing the blueberries in Kelsey's recipe with strawberries... SO GOOD. And then I was like, hello!? You already know peanut butter banana nice cream is amazing (ZB and I do that combo in "milkshakes" all the time); so after I put two and two together, these babies were born!
They are naturally sweetened (with bananas and dates), they're perfectly creamy, and they have that salty sweet combo going on! This recipe makes 12, so you can pop one out of the freezer whenever your sweet tooth strikes.
You'll need a food processor or a high speed blender to make this recipe. I used my food processor for both the crust and the nice cream filling (since my dreams of owning a Vitamix have not yet been realized).
Before we get to the recipe, a couple of tips:
- Line your cookie sheet with waxed paper before freezing the sliced bananas so they don't stick!
- After making the crust, don't worry about washing your food processor bowl. Some tiny pieces of crust won't hurt the filling!
- Add the peanuts at the END of making the nice cream filling so you have some nice crunchy bits in there.
- If you'd rather have slices instead of cupcakes, press the crust into a springform pan, freeze it, then spread the nice cream filling on top. Once it freezes, you can cut it into slices!
Peanut Butter Banana Nice cream Cupcakes
[Refined Sugar Free, Vegan, Dairy Free]
adapted from Little Bits Of
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup almond flour
2 Tbsp cacao or cocoa powder
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp melted coconut oil or ghee
1 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
pinch of salt
Nice Cream Filling:
3 bananas, cut into slices and frozen
5 Tbsp natural peanut butter
1/4 cup almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup peanuts
Make the crust:
- In the bowl of your food processor, combine raisins, almond flour, cacao powder, coconut, coconut oil, honey, and salt. Process until the mixture is finely chopped and crumbly. It should stick together a bit when you pinch it between your fingers; but if it doesn't (perhaps if your raisins were too dry), add a bit of water and process again.
- Place paper liners in a cupcake pan and evenly divide the crust mixture between the cups (a couple of teaspoons each, reserving some for topping). Remove the extra crust to a small bowl so you can make the nice cream.
- Place the pan in the freezer while you make the filling.
Make the nice cream filling:
- Add frozen bananas, peanut butter, almond milk, vanilla extract, and salt to the bowl of the food processor.
- Process until you have a dreamy smooth ice cream filling. You may need to pause a couple of times to scrape down the sides and press the bananas down into the blades.
- Once the nice cream is smooth, throw in the peanuts and pulse a couple of times to roughly chop and mix them in.
- Divide nice cream evenly between all of the cupcake liners.
- Sprinkle the tops with the leftover crust mix and place in the freezer for 20 minutes or until set/frozen.