To get Maria Makes updates delivered to your inbox, subscribe via email here.
There's a lot going on in this potato salad, so I had a hard time naming it! Potential names included:
- Cran-Apple Sweet Potato Salad
- Tangy Sweet Potato Salad
- Cranberry Sweet Potato Salad
- Harvest Sweet Potato Salad
I left it up to ZB (the hubs), and he picked Harvest Sweet Potato Salad, which I'm totally cool with, given the ingredients. Roasted sweet potatoes are spiced with cinnamon, sage, and salt, then combined with a tangy cranberry mayo dressing, diced apples, crushed walnuts, and minced onion! If you're looking for a non-traditional Thanksgiving side, this might be just the ticket!
Harvest Sweet Potato Salad
[Whole30 - Paleo - Gluten Free - Grain Free - Dairy Free]
Roasted Sweet Potatoes:
2 large sweet potatoes
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp salt
1 granny smith apple, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup walnuts, crushed or chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries (optional)
6 Tbsp mayonnaise (I make my own, but you can use whatever!)
1/4 cup dried cranberries (look for no sugar added!)
1/4 cup water
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Chop sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes and add them to a medium bowl.
TIP: Leave the skin on! It's good for you :)
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave (40 seconds should do it), then stir in cinnamon and ground sage. Pour oil and spices over the sweet potatoes, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of salt, and toss to coat.
- Arrange sweet potatoes into a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until they are fork-tender.
TIP: While the sweet potatoes roast, you can prep your other ingredients!
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven and allow to cool.
TIP: Place in refrigerator or freezer to make them cool faster! You don't want them to melt your mayo when you put the salad together.
- While the sweet potatoes roast, finely chop the apple, mince the onions, and crush or chop the walnuts.
- To a mason jar or a small microwave-safe bowl, add 1/4 cup dried cranberries and 1/4 cup water. Microwave for 1-2 minutes to soften the cranberries. Place water/cranberry mixture in the freezer to cool (again, you don't want to melt your mayo!)
- Once cranberries have cooled, add 6 Tbsp of mayonnaise to the same container along with 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Blend with immersion blender until the dried cranberries are ground up and incorporated with the mayonnaise. Mine still had some cranberry chunks which I didn't mind!
TIP: If you use organic dried cranberries that have no sugar added like I did (mine were sweetened with apple juice concentrate), then your dressing will be more brown (not a pretty red/pink you might associate with cranberry things). Not the prettiest, but still tastes awesome!
Bring it all together:
- Using the same bowl you seasoned the sweet potatoes in, combine the roasted sweets with all of the mix-ins and dressing.
- Fold to combine, and mash some of the sweet potatoes with a fork if you wish!
- Serve and enjoy!