To get Maria Makes updates delivered to your inbox, subscribe via email here.
I GOT AN INSTANT POT FOR CHRISTMAS! AND I AM ALREADY OBSESSED. It's been SO cold here in Happy Valley, and I've been craving some tomato soup, so that's one of the first things I made in what is now one of my new favorite kitchen gadgets!
I used fire-roasted canned tomatoes to keep it easy peasy, and I built layers of flavor with a mirepoix (carrots, onions, celery), lots of garlic, roasted red peppers, homemade bone broth, and thyme! Coconut cream from a can of coconut milk adds a creamy richness and makes this soup just a bit more decadent.
Don't worry! I've included alternate instructions below in case you don't have an instant pot, so you can use your stove or crock pot!
Fire Roasted Tomato Soup
[Whole30 - Paleo - Gluten Free - Grain Free - Dairy Free]
1 Tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
1 large sweet onion
2 ribs celery
2 medium carrots
6 cloves garlic
1 4oz can tomato paste
6-8 cups broth (I used turkey bone broth)
3 15oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1 10oz jar of roasted red peppers
10 sprigs fresh thyme, tied together
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 can coconut milk (cream only)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Chop your onion, celery, carrots, and garlic and set your Instant Pot to Sauté to heat up the oil.
TIP: Don't worry to much about consistency here - we'll be blending the soup later!
- Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic to the pot and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook for an additional 3 minutes or so.
TIP: This step deepens the flavor, don't skip it!
- Add in 6 cups of broth, all canned tomatoes, and roasted red peppers and stir to combine. Add the thyme bundle and crushed red pepper flakes on top.
- Secure your lid and set to Soup for 10 minutes.
- Either wait for the pot to de-pressurize naturally, or use the faster release valve option (but be careful that no soup spews out!).
- Remove the thyme bundle and discard. Stir in the coconut cream from a can of full fat coconut milk, salt, and white pepper.
- Blend the soup right in the pot using an immersion blender (or transfer to a regular blender in batches to puree).
- Check the consistency at this point, and if you want it to be a bit thinner, you can add up to 2 cups of additional broth.
TIP: I did end up using the full 8 cups, but if you want it thicker, just don't add as much!
- Serve it up and enjoy!
Stove or Crock Pot Instructions:
If you don't have an instant pot, you can still totally enjoy this soup!
- Follow steps 1-4 above in a regular soup pot on your stove or in your crock pot.
- Once everything is in the pot:
- Stove - bring to a boil, lower the temp and simmer for 30 min - 1 hour.
- Crock Pot - cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Pick up at steps 7-10 :)