To get Maria Makes updates delivered to your inbox, subscribe via email here.
An egg bake is basically a frittata, a crustless quiche, a baked omelette if you will. Call it whatever you want. When you break it down, you really just throw whatever meat and veggies you like into a baking dish, pour some whisked eggs over it all, and bake it until it doesn't jiggle. Oh, you can also add some cheese, if you're into that kind of thing. But since I was shooting for a Whole30 recipe here, I left it out.
This recipe is a perfect way to use up whatever protein and veggies you have hanging out in your fridge. You can cut it into slices and eat it for breakfast all week! Or lunch. And it's a nice change from my usual hard boiled eggs.
Italian Chicken Sausage Egg Bake
[Whole30 - Paleo - Gluten Free - Grain Free]
coconut oil (for greasing pan)
2 Trader Joe's Hot Italian Chicken Sausage Links
4 cups fresh broccoli, finely chopped
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp grainy dijon mustard (check labels!)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
- Grease a round cake pan or square baking dish with coconut oil and pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange chopped broccoli, sliced sausage, and sun dried tomatoes in an even layer in the pan.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over the veggies and sausage.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the eggs have set and no longer "jiggle."
- Slice and serve!
- To feed a crowd, double the recipe and bake it in a 9x13 pan.
- I have made egg bakes with pre-cooked broccoli and raw - and as long as you chop it finely, it will cook in the oven! No need to dirty more dishes to cook it in advance.